Our UK bus business has its foundations in what was the publicly owned West Midlands Travel.
- 1985: Travel West Midlands, formerly West Midlands Travel) is established as a company on 26 October following the 1985 Transport Act and the deregulation of bus services.
- 1991: In December 1991, West Midlands Travel was sold to its employees in a unique 100% Employee Share Ownership Plan.
- 1995: In April 1995, Travel West Midlands merged with National Express Group, forming the Group's core bus operation.
- 1997: Travel West Midlands reach agreement with Tayside Public Transport's Chief Executive, Jack Henry to purchase the growing Dundee bus operation. The business is soon rebranded as Travel Dundee with the same livery as the West Midlands.
- 1999: The £145 million Midland Metro light-rail system is officially opened in May 1999. Travel West Midlands is awarded the management contract to operate Line 1 and a separate division, Travel Midland Metro, was specially formed to operate and maintain the new system.
- 2002: In November 2002, the new Travel Coventry brand was unveiled by Travel West Midlands. This gave a unique local identity and livery for our bus services in Coventry.
- 2004: In the spring of 2004, National Express Group acquired the London bus operations of French transport group, Connex. The business was re-branded as Travel London.
- 2005: The summer of 2005 saw Travel London expanding, with the acquisition of TGM Buses (Tellings Golden Miller). This saw three further depots being added to the business; Byfleet, Hayes and Twickenham.
- 2007: Travel London's operations at Byfleet depot are altered and carried red and white 'Travel Surrey' branding.
- 2008: All of National Express Group's UK subsidiaries are integrated into one company to make travel simpler and Travel West Midlands is re-branded National Express West Midlands and gets a new livery.
- 2009: The Travel London operations were sold as the UK Bus business focused on its West Midlands and Dundee operations.
- 2010: The bus business refreshed its online presence with the launch of a new website www.nxbus.co.uk and Twitter feed @nxbus.
- 2011: First Hybrid buses introduced into Birmingham.
- 2012: Routes to Work initiative launched offering 1,700 jobs over 3 years.