Spain & Morocco Market Overview
ALSA holds the market-leading position in the regulated and highly segmented bus and intercity coach market in Spain and also operates in four cities in Morocco. Three levels of government regulation apply in Spain: national (long-distance coach), regional (regional coach) and city (urban bus). Each concession is exclusive to the operator, based on compliance with the public service obligation. Inter-city competition comes from state-backed rail and low-cost airlines. Bus and coach concessions are awarded through competitive public tender, typically every ten years.
- 171 concessions: 125 intercity coach concessions, 30 urban bus contracts, 16 others
- Concessional renewal process at early stage
- New contract wins in Spain
- Revenue management generating passenger and revenue growth in Spain
- Continuing urbanisation of the Moroccan economy with rapid migration to the major cities
- Further bolt-on acquisition opportunities