At National Express, health and safety management is the most important thing we do. Everyone we employ has the right to go home safely after work, and those who travel with us have the right to reach their destination safely.
This policy has three principal objectives:-
- to set out the separate and distinct responsibilities of the Group and its operating companies which together underpin our shared commitment to health and safety;
- to have in place effective arrangements to protect our employees, customers and the public against risks of injury or poor health arising from our operations; and
- to encourage continuous improvement in our health and safety processes and performance, and to share good practice amongst our operating companies. There is no point at which it is acceptable to stop trying to improve our health and safety practices and performance.
It is our personal responsibility - every one of us, whatever our position - to manage effectively those health and safety risks associated with our activities. These risks must be identified and swift action taken to avoid or minimise them. Overall responsibility for putting into place suitable arrangements to control operational risks rests with the Managing Directors of the Group's companies supported, where appropriate, by the Divisional Chief Executives. Health and safety is a line management responsibility. We do not tolerate unsafe acts.
The Group will support that responsibility, and appropriate resources will be made available as necessary to support our goal of continuous improvement by:-
- approving health and safety plans which set challenging actions for the Group and its operating companies;
- employing methods to measure performance in the management of health and safety;
- maintaining effective levels of communications across our operations;
- requiring our operating companies to employ recognised and modern practices and procedures in health and safety management;
- providing appropriate funding and resources;
- enabling the provision of appropriate training in health and safety; and
- commissioning or undertaking audit, utilising resources from inside or outside the Group to monitor the effectiveness of this policy.
This policy has my full support; for us to succeed, it needs yours too.
Group Chief Executive