National Express celebrates Earth Day
22 April 2022 12:00 PM
National Express, LLC (NELLC) proudly celebrated Earth Day and continues its active role in protecting and preserving the planet by advocating for and participating in sustainability initiatives.
In celebration of Earth Day this year, National Express’ WeDriveU shuttle division held nationwide events promoting shared alternatives to driving to work alone, showcasing electric vehicle (EV) demos and providing earth-friendly seed card passenger giveaways made in the USA of organic, handmade paper incorporating elements from nature, including flower petals and seeds.
As a leader in the school bus, transit, and shuttle transportation space, National Express understands the importance of reducing its carbon footprint and greenhouse gases for the betterment of the planet and the health of its citizens and students. Over the years, NELLC has taken countless steps in building and advocating for a greener tomorrow and has ramped up its efforts in recent years.
NELLC’s other notable sustainability efforts also include:
- Partnered with Con Edison and participated in an innovative vehicle-to-grid (V2G) bi-directional charging electric school bus study.
- Total Transit Enterprises, a National Express Transit Company that operates the Sabino Canyon Crawlers, has managed an emission-free electric fleet since 2020.
- Moved to fully synthetic oils in all of our fleets, which has allowed us to extend the life of our oil services and reduce our oil waste stream by 50%.
- Utilizing hybrid vehicles, renewable diesel, and alternate fuels in many of our locations.
- Upgrading lighting fixtures in our facilities throughout North America to high output LED fixtures.
- Optimizing our routes and tracking vehicle speed to focus on reducing mileage and fuel consumption.
- Instituting a no-idle policy, which helps reduce fuel consumption and harmful emissions.
“I am proud of the steps and progress National Express has made in becoming an environmentally conscious company,” said Gary Waits, CEO of National Express, LLC.
“Our team members continuously seek out and engage in sustainability practices, whether that be through reducing fuel consumption, recycling and repurposing parts, or our expanding efforts in EV. Ultimately, it is our responsibility to help reduce the world’s carbon footprint and create a more sustainable future for generations to come. We hope to lead by example and inspire other companies to become an active participant in protecting the environment.”