NX riding high in the National Passenger Survey 2007
Train companies run by National Express Group ("The Group"), the UK's most experienced train operator, shine in the latest industry customer satisfaction survey announced today, despite a tough ride for the rail sector overall.
The National Passenger Survey (NPS), carried out by Passenger Focus, revealed that Midland Mainline, the Group's intercity operator, came top for overall satisfaction amongst long distance train operators, with a score of 90%; 1% up on last year's results. Midland Mainline also came top for dealing with delays - a 15% improvement on last year - and achieved the top score for punctuality, with 90%.
Gatwick Express also performed well, with an overall satisfaction score of 92% and, out of 32 measures for regional train operators, Gatwick Express came top in 21, including train cleanliness, punctuality, comfort and availability of staff. c2c, Central Trains, ‘one' and Silverlink also showed improvements, including increased scores for attitude of staff, security, and upkeep of stations and platforms.
David Franks, chief executive of the Group's Trains Division, said: "These results clearly demonstrate our passion and drive to improve the service we give our passengers. This applies not only to train performance, where we lead the industry, but also to the investment we have made in the training and development of our people."
The NPS results follow the latest rail performance figures for the industry in which train companies run by the Group also took the top spots. In the most recently published figures, Midland Mainline was top performing long distance operator with a Public Performance Measure (PPM) of 92.9%, against the sector average of 85.2%.
In the London and South East operators' category, the Group's rail companies took the two top spots for peak time train performance. In top place was c2c with 93.9%, with Silverlink taking second place with 92.9%.
- ENDS -
For further information, please contact:
Nicola Marsden/Deborah Tilley
National Express Group PLC 020 7529 2000/07719 342020
Passenger Focus 0870 336 6021/07918 626 045
Notes to Editors:
- National Express Group PLC is one of the largest operator of train franchises in the UK with six rail franchises; c2c, Central Trains, Gatwick Express, Midland Mainline, ‘one' including Stansted Express and Silverlink. The Trains Division has a revenue of £1,497.2m and employs 10,000 people.
- National Express Group has a full time bidding team, who have recently submitted bids for the new East Midlands and Cross Country franchises. These two new franchises, which have been remapped from the existing Cross Country, Midland Mainline and Central Trains franchises, will be awarded by the Department for Transport in the summer and are scheduled to commence in November 2007. The team is also currently developing the bid for the Intercity East Coast franchise, which is due to be submitted on 6th June 2007.
- Full results of the Spring 2007 wave of the National Passenger Survey are available to download from: www.passengerfocus.org.uk/nps
- Over 25,000 passengers are surveyed for each wave of the National Passenger Survey. Two waves (spring and autumn) are conducted each year
- The National Passenger Survey provides a network-wide picture of passengers' satisfaction with rail travel. Passenger opinions of train services are collected twice a year from a representative sample of passenger journeys.
- Passengers' overall satisfaction and satisfaction with 30 specific aspects of service can therefore be compared over time
- Fieldwork took place between 22 January and 25 March 2007
- Ratings for each individual Train Operating Company are available, as well as ratings for each sector, i.e. London and the South East, long distance and regional operators.
- Passenger Focus is the official, independent consumer organisation representing the interests of rail users nationally. Created by the Railways Act 2005, Passenger Focus is the operating name of the Rail Passengers Council. It is a body corporate, executive non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Transport.