More choice and value on the menu as National Express East Coast unveils new on-train cuisine
35 new dishes, many at reduced prices
Train operator National Express East Coast is introducing a new seasonal menu from today, Monday 21 September, offering customers greater choice and better value.
The new menu, designed using feedback from National Express Chefs and customers, includes 35 new dishes with savings of up to 33 per cent on some dishes.
The new autumn and winter menu sees the introduction of two new menus to the First Class restaurant, each with 11 newly created dishes. The menus will rotate on a monthly basis. The First Class At Seat dining and Light Bites menus have also been redesigned, both with new options and customer favourites from the previous menu.
Customers using the Café Bar can now enjoy a new selection of cold sandwiches, snacks and drinks, as well as four brand new hot food options.
Those tucking into the Great British Breakfast will enjoy both the food and a big price reduction in the First Class restaurant (was £16.50, now £14). Breakfast from the First Class At Seat dining menu was £12.99 and is now only £12.00.
Customers travelling in Standard accommodation can enjoy a new selection of hot and cold sandwiches at reduced prices.
As well as offering great value for money in its new menus, National Express East Coast has set out to streamline the preparation of the dishes on board the train, whilst speeding up the delivery of the dishes to customers and improving service quality.
National Express East Coast customer service director Denise Lennox said: ”The introduction of our new seasonal menu will provide a wider variety of options, as well as retaining our most popular dishes, with our ‘Bistro’ style dining remaining great value for money.
“We have listened to feedback from our customers and our on board Chefs to devise a menu that is delicious, offers great value and reflects the skills and flair of our chefs. “
Details of the new menus and specific restaurant services will be available from today, Monday (September 21) online at www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/restaurants. Customers can also check availability at staffed stations and via National Express East Coast telesales on 08457 225225.
Note to editors:
Below are some of the new options available from the redesigned menus available throughout First and Standard Class:
Those dining in the dedicated restaurant cars on board peak weekday service to and from London will be able to enjoy the new options for breakfast and two all new dinner menus.
- Served before 11am, customers have the choice of three starters in addition to their main for breakfast. These include a new fruit kebab with rose syrup or natural yoghurt, cereals and porridge.
- A new Continental option has been added for breakfast diners with a warm Emmenthal cheese and mushroom muffin, served with freshly baked Danish pastry, croissant and fruit yoghurt (£14.00).
- Traditionalists will still be able to enjoy the Great British breakfast of grilled bacon, pork sausage, free-range eggs, mushroom, baked beans, black pudding, vine tomatoes and potato cakes, as well as a new vegetarian option, including fried or scrambled free range eggs, mushroom, baked beans, vine tomatoes and potato cakes (£14.00).
- Another breakfast option is Craster smoked salmon served on a bagel with free-range scrambled eggs and vine tomatoes (£14.00)
Two new dinner menus have been designed, including:
- Starters such as Gourmet Leek Soup served with pureed fresh leeks, cream and croutons, and Baked Winter Vegetable Anna, a selection of oven-baked winter vegetables served with spiced Redcurrant Jelly and Italian mixed salad leaves (£4.00).
- Main courses such as a grilled tender matured British rib eye steak (£18.00), served with vine tomatoes and a side portion of fries, with a choice of Béarnaise sauce, creamy pepper sauce or Madeira fried onions: or Fillet of Cod served on a bed of crisp French beans and glazed with orange Vincotto (£16.00)
- Tempting desserts such as warm Apple and Cinnamon Pie (£4.00) served with warm Devon custard, or a platter of fine cheeses served with a warm bread roll, fresh celery and sliced apple (was £7.50, now £5.00).
At Seat Dining
Customers in First Class can still enjoy the At Seat dining service on board weekday services and a number of selected weekend services, offering delicious, chef-prepared hot food served direct to the customer in their seat. Breakfast offers similar options to the restaurant menu; with popular lunch and dinner dishes retained and improved while new dishes have been added including:
- The Premium Signature Aberdeen Angus Beef Burger (£10.00) now includes fries with a choice of topping including Jarlsberg Cheese, Madeira fried onions and grilled back bacon, and any additional topping for £1.
- A new pasta dish has been introduced, including Italian cheese ravioli with a choice of roast pepper and lemon sauce or Mascarpone and roasted garlic sauce, topped with cheese and served with warm crusty bread (£9.00).
- Hot Smoked Salmon Niçoise is a new addition including succulent peppered Scottish hot smoked salmon, served on a fresh salad of crisp leaves with French beans, potatoes, tomato and egg, dressed with mustard vinaigrette (£10.00).
At Seat Light Bites
Served directly to the customer in their First Class seat, the Light Bites menu is available on all trains and has been reworked with new hot sandwiches and winter warmers, as well as a new and improved range of cold sandwiches and snacks.
- New hot sandwiches include bacon and slow roast tomatoes in sundried tomato Focaccia garnished with mixed leaves, and the griddled mushrooms and Emmenthal cheese Club in flat bread, also garnished with mixed leaves (£4.30).
- New additions to the menu include the delicious winter warmer dishes with lamb hot pot, a tender slow-cooked English lamb with carrot and turnip in gravy topped with sliced potato and served with Italian mixed salad leaves (£5.50).
- Vegetarians can enjoy the vegetarian Moussaka made of layers of grilled aubergine and potato with peppers, mushroom and tomato in a rich English cheese sauce (£5.50).
As well as retaining customers’ favourites from the cold sandwich range, a new enhanced selection of gourmet and plain sandwiches have been added and will rotate on a monthly basis. In addition, hot food choices include toasted sandwiches, paninis and a new delicious selection of winter warmer meals, as well as snacks and drinks.
- Farmhouse cheddar cheese with caramelised onion relish in a new Gluten-free roll (£3.50).
- Beef cottage pie, a mix of tender British Somerset select beef and root vegetables in sauce with a creamy mash potato topping, and Fisherman’s Pie with Scottish salmon and prawns in a rich white sauce with sautéed onion and fresh tomato covered in creamy mashed potato (£4.50).
On First Class restaurant services, all breakfasts will be served before 11am and will include a choice of starter with a morning bread basket, orange juice, tea and coffee.
All of the starters on the restaurant dinner menu will be served with warm crusty bread, and main dishes will be accompanied with new potatoes and a selection of seasonal vegetables.
For the First Class At Seat dining service, all breakfasts will be served before 11am and served with orange juice, toast, butter and preserve.
A selection of images highlighting the new menu is attached to this news release. All prices quoted include VAT.