Xplore Dundee assesses Whitfield bus services
Xplore Dundee is proposing some route changes in response to customer feedback to fine-tune the bus network in Whitfield following its recent network review.
Service 17 is set to be reinstated as a link to Ninewells Hospital, while the 15/17 will soon run in alternating directions around Whitfield, to provide better coverage of this area.
Managing Director of Xplore Dundee Christine McGlasson said: “With massive redevelopments underway in Whitfield itself, it’s necessary to adapt the service to try to meet the area’s evolving needs and this involves a period of trial and error, in order to find the best long-term solution. Our goal is to provide a reliable service which remains fit-for-purpose in a community which is evolving rapidly.
“Following this year’s timetable review, we have been monitoring services and evaluating whether further changes are required to iron out any unforeseen issues and achieve our aim of improving reliability for passengers.
“We have listened carefully to comments from customers, as well as feedback from our drivers, and believe that these proposed amendments respond to their concerns.”
The plans are currently with Dundee City Council, with a view to implementing the changes in the coming weeks. The key amendments are:
1) Reinstate service 17 as a direct through-bus between Ninewells Hospital and Whitfield. Buses will make this journey every half-hour between approximately 0800 and 2300 (with more journeys pre-8am than ever before).
2) Run services 15/17 in alternating directions around Whitfield.
- a) Service 15 will run anti-clockwise four times per hour, which means running via: Lothian Crescent first, and then Drumgeith Road, Berwick Drive and Longhaugh Road.
- b) Service 17 will run clockwise every half-hour, which means running via: Longhaugh Road first, and then Berwick Drive, Drumgeith Road and Lothian Crescent.
- c) Some journeys (in the morning and afternoon) will divert via Whitfield Loan in order to avoid school-time congestion at the Northeast Campus.
- d) In the evening, service 17 will run clockwise around Whitfield as far as The Crescent, where it will then turn around and return as service 17e via Whitfield anti-clockwise before extending on to Ninewells Hospital.
3) Buses between Whitfield Drive and the City Centre will run every 10 minutes, with service 17 extending to Ninewells Hospital every half-hour. Service 17 will run in both directions via Dura Street, whilst service 15 will continue to run via Albert Street towards the City Centre.
4) Access to the Technology Park will be maintained all day (every half-hour) by service 17, with journeys scheduled to run there on Saturdays in addition to weekdays.
Additionally, Services 5 and 9/10 will see minor improvements; following the revision of the frequency on this corridor from every 7 to every 10 minutes, some journeys in the morning will have their running times enhanced to accommodate peak time passenger numbers.
Once the proposals are confirmed and registered, full timetable details will be available online at xploredundee.com and at the Travel Centre in Commercial Street.