National Express goes for Gold for another five years
National Express has been recognised for the support it gives the UK’s Armed Forces, veterans and their families. The transport operator has had the Ministry of Defence’s Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) Gold award revalidated for five more years.
The ERS recognises businesses that are exemplary supporters of the Armed Forces Covenant - a promise from the nation that those who serve or have served in the Armed Forces, and their families, are treated fairly. National Express was chosen as the first company to sign the Armed Forces Covenant in 2014 and re-signed for another five years in 2018.
To achieve the highly coveted Gold award, organisations must demonstrate their commitment through supportive HR policies, being an advocate for the benefits of supporting those within the armed forces community and encouraging others to sign the Armed Forces Covenant and to engage in the Employer Recognition Scheme.
National Express’ support includes:
- Offering guaranteed interviews to service leavers, their spouses and families, for all jobs across the Coach and Bus businesses
- Providing ten days’ extra leave for staff in the Reserve Forces
- Offering discounts on coach and bus travel
- Offering free bus travel to families visiting soldiers at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham and to volunteers on Remembrance Sunday
- Ongoing fundraising and support as an official partner of The Royal British Legion
- Annual celebration of Armed Forces Day
National Express is the only national passenger transport company to be given the prestigious award, originally presented at Number 10 Downing Street in 2014. It is one of 17 organisations to be revalidated this year, joining a total of 353 organisations who currently hold the award.
Minister for Defence People and Veterans, Johnny Mercer MP, commented: “I am grateful for the positive attitude and flexible policies these organisations have adapted towards the defence community, which is testament to the fantastic contribution our serving personnel, veterans and their families can make to any organisation.”
Tom Stables, Managing Director of National Express UK and Germany, added: “We are proud to be a longstanding supporter of the UK’s Armed Forces community.
“Achieving revalidation of our Gold award is recognition of our commitment to giving back to the communities in which we serve and testament to the hard work of colleagues across our UK businesses.”