National Express Group PLC (NEG) respects the dignity of all its employees and recognizes fundamental principles of human rights as identified in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
NEG will uphold fundamental human rights in everything we do. NEG is committed to taking steps to identify and prevent interference with fundamental rights and provide for the respectful exercise of those rights by all persons, consistent with the safe, effective and efficient performance of work.
NEG recognizes that the ideal of free human beings enjoying civil and political freedom and freedom from fear and want can only be achieved if conditions are created whereby everyone may enjoy their civil and political rights, as well as their economic, social and cultural rights. NEG further recognizes that the inherent dignity and the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, and that certain fundamental human rights also extend to the workplace.
NEG recognizes that the challenge of maintaining these standards are unique in different parts of the world and create challenges for business in applying these principles, while giving due respect to local culture, laws, and norms. Consequently, in applying this Policy, NEG shall give due regard to the law of the land where the policy is applied.
NEG also recognizes that many persons and groups have differing views on human, civil, and political rights that extend beyond the fundamental principles expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. NEG welcomes the discussion and debate on these issues, but does not believe that it is appropriate to attempt to impose our views on others. NEG does believe, however, that we can, and do, influence others through leading by example, and recognizes that it cannot be the arbiter of these differing views. NEG also recognizes that fundamental rights are not subject to negotiation or compromise. NEG will consider policies or practices that go beyond such fundamental rights. But in doing so, NEG will be mindful of its obligations to its shareholders and customers, and its duty to avoid adopting standards that so significantly exceed local requirements that doing so would place NEG at an economic disadvantage to its competitors.
Consistent with the foregoing, all persons employed by NEG, shall be extended the following workplace rights, without distinction of any kind, such as race, color, sex, sexual orientation, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth, or other status.
- Everyone shall have the right to freedom of association with others, including the right to form and join trade unions. NEG believes that Freedom of Association also means that no one should be compelled to provide financial support to associations or causes which are inconsistent with their personal beliefs.
- The right to vote in secret is absolute and should not be restricted in any manner. When consistent with local law, everyone shall have the right to vote for representatives in genuine elections which shall be held by secret ballot, guaranteeing the free expression of the will of the electors.
- Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, either orally or in writing, or through any other media of their choice, and the freedom to hold opinions without interference.
- Everyone shall have the right to obtain or impart information necessary to make an informed choice, a necessary corollary to the rights of freedom of association and secret ballot elections for representatives. Where necessary, NEG will ensure that (1) employees have the information necessary to make a fully informed choice on the important issue of representation and (2) that no party will unlawfully prevent the dissemination or expression of any views on representation.
- Everyone shall have the right to protection against interference with their privacy, family, home or correspondence, or attacks on their reputation, and no one shall be subjected to such interference or attack.
- Everyone shall have the right to their property. No one shall be deprived of their property, or the right to exercise control of their property, whether real, tangible, or intangible.
The exercise of the rights provided for in this Policy carries with it special duties and responsibilities by those claiming such rights for themselves or on behalf of others. Therefore, the exercise of these rights may therefore be subject to the following parameters:
- Recognizing that the workplace is for work, these rights must be exercised in a manner that does not interfere with the safe and efficient performance of work by those persons on working time.
- Such responsibilities as are necessary for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others.
- Such responsibilities as are necessary to prevent conduct or statements the primary purpose of which is to damage the reputations of others.
NEG will not tolerate conduct by any person or organization that seeks to intimidate, harass, or coerce employees in the exercise of these rights.